Monday, February 22, 2010

Running for the train

Everyday I commute from Washington Union Station to Halethorpe, MD on the MARC commuter rail. I will typically catch the 5:20pm express on the Penn line but this particular day I was running late so I was resigned to take the 5:34pm local.

When I got to the station platforms the 5:20 train was still there so I started heading for it and I heard the conductor said, "All aboard!" I'm not really the running type so I was just going to go catch the later train but as I was about to change my mind the conductor saw me and said "Come on!" and waved his arm beckoning me to make the train.

So I put on a little bit of speed and ran to the end of the first car where the conductor was now standing in the doorway. Right as I was getting there the train began to pull away from the platform. The conductor said, "careful now" and stepped aside to allow me to jump onto the moving train.

I was a little bit out of breath from the sprint but I was pretty excited about what had just occurred. I had just jumped onto a moving train as it pulled away from the station. When in my life will I ever get the chance to jump on a moving train again?

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh man why do you get to have all the fun?

Trac said...

Yeah, that's pretty cool