Monday, July 14, 2008

Too Old for Old Navy

For those who don't know I'm turning 30 this year. I've felt like I'm getting older, especially since I work with the youth group at church, but I don't really feel like I'm old. And ever since I started working around the broadcast media set I've found myself wanting to dress nicer. I used to only work around computer programmers who typically don't care about their appearance and show up wearing shorts and black socks or even wizard robes, Dungeons & Dragons style. So I've been trying to look nicer by wearing button-up shirts but I still love to wear my jeans. 

Since Old Navy opened in 1994 I've been buying jeans there because they are up to date and affordable. I even bought jeans from there when they went through the painter and carpenter jeans fad. So I needed some new jeans and I went to Old Navy to get the same pair I've been buying for a couple of years, the boot-cut dark denim jeans. I find the boot-cuts and I go into the dressing room because I'm actually smart enough to try stuff on before I buy it even if they're the "same" as what I'm wearing. Lucky I did because they must have gone to low-riders this season. I put them on and immediately I can tell they don't fit the same. The crotch on those things was about 2 inches shorter and I felt like my butt-crack was hanging out while I was standing up straight. 

That was that for me, I'd had enough. I gave the jeans to the glaring 16-year-old employee who seems to think I'm going to hide a pair up my shirt and I walked out. I've been shopping at Old Navy since I was a teenager and I'm not a teenager anymore. So I'll leave Old Navy to the those kids who can pull off the low-rider girl-cut skinny jeans. I mean how much Bohemian crap can one store sell?

So now I shop where other grown-ups buy their clothes and one day, maybe soon, I'll even give up wearing jeans to the office.

No comments: